How I love photographing the couples who get married at Green Valley Ranch in Henderson (just a 15 minute ride from the Las Vegas Strip): let me count the ways.
1. It’s human scale! No walking for thousands of yards inside of gigantic buildings, or thousands of feet between blocks. It’s intimate yet grand.
2. It’s really freaking gorgeous! GVR’s landscaping is among the more verdant and abundant in all of Las Vegas. The architecture is first rate, too.
3. It’s so visually varied. You can see and be photographed in a vineyard, within ornate hallways, inside plush suites, atop one of the grandest of grand staircases, enveloped in modern and sleek outdoor cabanas, on the sands of a beach (! for real), beside and against cascading waterfalling sheets of water, against deep blue tile caressing a cool blue pool, lounging upon a cool green lawn, draped over luxurious and elegant furnishings, and so much more. The place is a visual FEAST, a photographer’s playground.
4. It’s just so much more relaxed than the Strip, so easy-going, so much less hurried.
5. It’s big enough to accommodate the largest weddings and events, yet intimate enough to host a two-person elopement or a 40 person wedding ceremony and reception.
6. Their in-house chapel is understated, elegant, comfortable, lovely, and definitely not pushy like many of those in-house chapels on the Strip.
7. It is such a versatile and flexible place in which to get married. I have photographed ceremonies in so many locations on property, including: the in-house chapel on the second floor; inside presidential suites; up on the grand staircase; on the grand patio beneath the grand staircase; in the tall Italian cypress a little beyond the pool area; on the curving modern staircase just next to the pool; and in the exclusive “The Pond” private pool area.
We love Las Vegas corporate event photography because corporate event photography incorporates many different kinds of photography at the same time: portrait, food, photojournalism, details, environmental. It’s very challenging and rewarding. Bonus – we get to be around some of the most talented and ambitious people in the world. Extra bonus: the chefs usually insist we sample some of their amazing cuisine and libations. So, OK! Yum!Some of the incredibly talented chefs from Green Valley Ranch Resort in Henderson, NV.Did we mention the delicious and gorgeous pastries?Oh yea, and world-class Sushi, too! Read More
I never get tired of shooting at Green Valley Ranch because it is so green, so easy to get around, has such seemingly infinite choices of beautiful locations, and such a professional and supportive staff.
I also never get tired of documenting some of the most important moments in peoples’ lives – I know it sounds smarmy and cliché to say so – but I am honestly and deeply honored with the privilege. Of the many jobs, occupations and careers I’ve held over the years none has come close to giving me the satisfaction that I get from photography, particularly portrait and especially wedding photography.
Who else gets to create things that become dramatically more valuable every single day, to the point of becoming priceless? Mercedes Benz doesn’t. Apple doesn’t. Gucci, YSL, Cartier, Trump, NetJets, Vera Wang and the rest don’t.
But I do.
Thank you God for such an opportunity.
Enjoy these beautiful photos of this truly wonderful couple and family.
Great family photos are so important. We shot these in a very dark foyer – to stay out of the ninety degree heat & wind. We bring ten speedlites and professional light modifiers so dark rooms are no problem!
I saw additional photos from this wedding that were done at night of the bride and groom and some of the outdoor areas of [******* ********]. I would absolutely love to be able to get a few of those shots to use as they were fantastic and so many brides are scared of doing photos in the dark. This would definitely show how it can be done when a professional photographer is hired!
CATERING MANAGER, WEDDING VENUE
I’m going to let you in on a little secret.
When a wedding photographer you’re interviewing proudly says that s/he’s an “available light” photographer, that’s usually code for “I don’t know how to use off-camera lights and I really don’t own any.”
Which is fine for day-time weddings.
However, the final 1/3 of most traditional weddings takes place after the sun goes down. And many reception halls are very dim even during the day.
A professional wedding photographer has to know how to elegantly light up the dark.
Just today the catering manager of a major Las Vegas wedding venue told me that many brides are “scared of doing photos in the dark”. Could it be because the “available light” photographer they’re considering is scared, too?
When interviewing photographers, it’s probably wise of you to ask them questions like:
How do you handle formal portraits in the dark?
How do you shoot a dark reception room?
We love available light. But when the sun goes down and there isn’t any, we make beautiful light for you with our discreet professional off-camera lighting gear.
Why “off-camera” lighting? Because on-camera direct flash looks flat and amateur, like it was taken with a disposable camera. Off-camera light gives depth and pop and magazine-quality to the most important photos in your life.
If your available light photographer shows few or no night-time photos on their website, you should be concerned.
We’re not afraid of the dark 🙂 and when you hire the right photographer, you shouldn’t be, either 🙂
The above photo shows how dark a typical wedding reception hall is. The photos above & below were taken seconds apart – one when my lights didn’t pop, the other with four Speedlites popping all over the reception hall to catch your beautiful moments.The photo above and below were taken seconds apart – the above with the available light typical of many hotel reception rooms, the photo below with my pro lights throughout the room popping.
Las Vegas Photographer STEVEN JOSEPH PHOTOGRAPHY. Las Vegas Headshots. Las Vegas Food Photography. Las Vegas Event Photography. Las Vegas Convention Photography. Las Vegas Photobooths. Las Vegas Wedding Photography. Las Vegas Elopement Photography.